Places Of Interest
| Black Hills | Butterfield Homes | Cottingley Bar | Cottingley Beck | Cottingley First School | Cottingley Hall | Cottingley Manor | Cottingley Mill | Cottingley Post Office | Cottingley Town Hall | Cottingley Village | Cottingley Woods | Elsie Wrights' House | Littlelands | March Cote Farm | St. David's Ruin | St. Michael & All Angels Church | The Hut | The Parade | The Rec | The Sun Inn | The War Memorial |

Cottingley Hall

Click HERE to see more photos.

Cottingley House, as it was originally known, was the seat of the Dobsons and the Lamplugh-Wickhams. It passed to the Ferrands by purchase.

Mr. W. Wickham was a master spy for the British Secret Service, Secretary of State for Ireland and later Lord of the Treasury. He developed the intial networks for espionage in France during the Revolutionary Wars between 1792 and 1815.

Mr Richard Thorton, father of the explorer, was also a tenant here.

Before Cottingley Hall was demolished it bore 1659, R.A.F. (Robert and Anne Ferrand), and the knights' double cross.

The building you see today (bottom photo) replaced the old Hall (top photo) when it was demolished. It was built in 1915 by Arthur Harry Briggs, who in December of that year, gave it to his son Arthur Edward Briggs and Gladys May Boothroyd as a Wedding present. Their three children Eric Edward Boothroyd Briggs, Joan Boothroyd Briggs, and Margaret Stephanie Boothroyd Briggs were all born at Cottingley Hall between 1917 and 1921.

Arthur Edward Briggs died at Cottingley Hall in March 1928.

It was sold to a group of Consultants from the BRI to use as a nursing home ie. private hospital (as they were regulated as nursing homes) in about 1968.

Today Cottingley Hall accomodates the Yorkshire Clinic and the BUPA Cottingley Hall Nursing Home and is situated in the same grounds as Cottingley Manor.