Places Of Interest
| Black Hills | Butterfield Homes | Cottingley Bar | Cottingley Beck | Cottingley First School | Cottingley Hall | Cottingley Manor | Cottingley Mill | Cottingley Post Office | Cottingley Town Hall | Cottingley Village | Cottingley Woods | Elsie Wrights' House | Littlelands | March Cote Farm | St. David's Ruin | St. Michael & All Angels Church | The Hut | The Parade | The Rec | The Sun Inn | The War Memorial |

The War Memorial

Click HERE to see more photos.

On the grounds of St. Michael and All Angels Church stands the War Memorial. The original statue was unveiled on the former church grounds next to the Sun Inn pub in 1919 and was moved to the current Littlelands site in 1967.

Unfortunately, on the 6th May 2002 the wooden statue of Christ was badly damaged so a new structure was erected on the morning of 26th September 2002 by Bankfoot joiners. It is constructed from deciduous homegrown oak brought in from Lincolnshire and stands at over 14ft. The new statue of Christ (shown as it arrived on the left) is mainly fibreglass casing with a wooden back.

Surrounded by roses at the foot of the memorial is the plaque commemorating the lives of the fallen during the First World War. The photograph on the left shows that the names are still clearly visible.

After a special service of Remembrance, Thanksgiving and Renewal at the Parish on the 30th September 2002, HRH Prince Charles attended a Rededication Ceremony of the War Memorial outside the church and then met community groups to discuss the regeneration of Cottingley.